Tuesday, December 14, 2010

This is not Inception where you dream in dream and dreaming again...

When apple came out with iPhone, the whole world turn into a hype. Everybody want to lay their hand on this revolution-that-change the world mobile phone. It make the world realize mobile phone is not a mere mobile phone anymore, not the device that connect humanity to another humanity at real time but it is something more than that. I do wonder, what is Mr. A.G Bell thinks if he raised up from the six feet under and see the world today.

Are applications on the phone is new? are touch screens are new? A simple question to Mr Google reveals that the first touch screen was invented in 1974 by Mr Sam Hurst as well as the biological father of touch technology. source:http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bltouch.htm. While the first touch screen phone is ...

One might say, yeah, you love the history, so what?

As an ex-engineering student majoring in electronic itself, i couldn't stop myself from being sentimental with the touch screen. My first encounter of touch screen back in 2004 when we were taught on how to create applications of touch screen. During the lab experiment, it never cross my mind that touch screen will be touch screen today. Of course that is the basic touch screen with monitor like our old tv set, not as crystalize as we have today. The contras was as basic as Prince Persia in 1990s. Even that time i'm not really interested with the touch screen, who will use such a lame thing? No wow! factor, nothing attractive. Seriously I never thought that bulky and low contrast technology would be as handy and gorgeous as today. Never!

Am I whining? No.

Those sentimental thing on touch screen spark a question in my mind. Why I never thought that would happen? Why I didnt see the potential? Why during our first encounter all I see was the all-the-lame-thing of touch screen?

I do wonder, did the lecturer, the instructor of the class see this coming when he taught us?

I think what's missing is the imagination. The ability to see the evolution. And I do think that only imagination would create evolutions. Like Mr Bell himself, I don't think that he was thinking when he decided to invent telephone, he must be day dreaming with his pen, killing his time when suddenly the day dreaming part become an imagination. But with Mr Bell, the imagination which later become an invention while most of us usually stuck with day dreaming.

No comments: